The 186 visa allows employers to sponsor, or assist, employees on a 457 visa onto a pathway to progress to permanent residence while remaining in Australia.
There are 3 eligibility pathways for the 186 visa:
- Direct Entry Stream - For applicants who do not hold a 457 visa
- Transitional Residence Stream - For applicants who have worked for their employer for 2 years while holding a 457 visa
- Agreement Stream - for persons who will work for an employer who has a labour agreement (this is relatively uncommon - but please contact us for further details)
The key requirements for this visa which you must meet at the time the application is lodged, are as follows:-
- your employer must be prepared to nominate you for permanent residence and meet the nomination requirements.
- your occupation must be on the gazetted CSOL list.
Other eligibility requirements:-
Transition Stream - You must have worked in a full-time position in Australia in the occupation (mentioned above) on a Subclass 457 visa, for your employer, for the last two years prior to the visa application being made OR
Direct Entry Stream- have had your skills assessed as suitable by the appropriate skills assessing authority and have at least three years full-time work experience in the occupation before the visa application is lodged (unless there are exceptional circumstances)
- show that you have the appropriate skills, qualifications and/or experience to fill the position
- If you need to be licensed or registered, then you must already be so (e.g. registered nurse, electrician etc.)
- be under 50 years of age (unless you meet the exemptions)
- provide a contract confirming your remuneration, postion, employment terms etc. This must meet market salary requirements.
- have Competent English language ability (i.e. IELTS of at least 6.0 in each band)
- you will also need to meet the health and character requirements for a permanent visa.
Contact our Australian Migration agent to make an appointment to meet in our offices to discuss your 186 visa eligibility: